Kaitlyn Johnson - Literary Agent Apprentice
Kaitlyn is currently OPEN to queries.
After receiving a BA in Writing, Literature, and Publishing from Emerson College, Kaitlyn refused to leave the concept of nightly homework behind. Centering her life around everything literary, she started her own freelance editing company, K. Johnson Editorial, as soon as her diploma arrived in the mail. She also recently became the YA Editor at Accent Press.
Check out her Twitter, @kaitylynne13, for #mswl listings and writerly life thoughts.
What Kaitlyn likes to see in her inbox:
- YA, NA, and A are her main interests. She mostly drools for fantasy (yes, that very much includes urban!), time travel, select dystopian, romance (with erotic elements is OK), and historical fiction if it is anything other than Henry VIII, Shakespeare, American Civil War, Greek gods/myths.
- Contemporary can grab her attention only if the concept is unique enough and executed well. Overplayed tropes/characters make her cringe. Same goes for upper MG.
- LGBT (as well as characters questioning their sexuality) welcome in all genres accepted above
- Check out my #MSWL to see more! I update every so often
Kaitlyn is NOT accepting:
- Chapter or picture books
- Horror, thriller/suspense
- Novellas, poetry, or short story collections
- Storylines heavily dependent on religious motives/events/themes
Her favorite authors/books include the following: Cornelia Funke (Inkheart series); Michael Buckley (Undertow series); John Green (more Looking for Alaska, less An Abundance of Katherines); Gayle Forman (Just One Year and Just One Day); Lois Lowry (The Giver series); Scott O’Dell (Island of the Blue Dolphins). Her favorite tv shows are Doctor Who, Buffy, Supernatural, Firefly, basically the nerdier the fandom the better.
Please follow the submission guidelines on our "Submissions" page and send to email@example.com with the subject title: "Query: Kaitlyn Johnson, [name of manuscript]"
- Strong query
- Five page sample
- 1-2 page synopsis
Please do not e-mail unsolicited queries to her personal work e-mail. They will not be accepted. Thank you for your understanding.